The AUBURN BEAUTIFICATION COMMISSION, INC. (ABC) is currently raising funds, planning, designing, and/or implementing several beautification initiatives. In virtually every case the ABC is partnering with one or more organizations, volunteers, and/or local merchants.
- Extreme Gateway Makeover – the ABC partners with IGNITE, Cayuga County’s Young Professional Group to complete phase one of a multi-phase project to makeover the City of Auburn’s gateway signage. Beginning in the Spring of 2012 this project began with the removal, redesign and reinstallation of 2 new brick-clad “Welcome to Auburn” signs located on E. Genesee Street and Lake Avenue. Additional signs will be reinstalled over the next couple of years along with plantings that will create a better first impression for our visitors and convey an image of a vibrant, prosperous community.
- Art Around Auburn – Launched in 2010, Art Around Auburn is an interpretive sculpture competition that invites area artists to create a large-scale outdoor sculpture based on a theme. In 2011, winning artist Audrey Iwanicki created the “Wheel to Reel” sculpture in honor of Theodore Case, inventor of sound-on-film technology and one of Auburn’s most famous founding fathers. “Wheel to Reel” was unveiled at the 2011 Founders Day Celebration and still stands today on Exchange Street.
- Fall Bulb Planting – In an effort to create lasting beauty, the ABC started their first-annual Fall Bulb Planting in October, with the installation of over 500 spring-flowing bulbs. An assortment of tulips, daffodils, hyacinth, and crocus were planted around the South Street Gazebo which will multiply over time and create a lasting beauty at this downtown spot. Each year, the ABC will choose a different public green space in hopes of eventually bringing color to every corner of the City.
- Annual Garden Tour – For those interested in horticulture, or if you have just been waiting to sneak a peek at your neighbors gardens, the ABC will be hosting their Third Annual Garden Tour on Sunday, July 14, 2013. All proceeds from the garden tours support ABC beautification projects throughout the year. ABC invites interested gardeners to contact us via this website at anytime during the year if you are interested in participating in the next tour.
- Downtown Flower Program – This annual project is a partnership with the Auburn Downtown Business Improvement District (BID), Dickman Farms Nursery and ABC to install and maintaining over 60 hanging flower baskets and 45 ground planters throughout Downtown Auburn. This annual project has highlighted downtown with a splash of color and vibrancy with an assortment of annuals and greenery indigenous to the Central New York region.
- Rejuvenate Osborne Park – Life is being restored to Osborne Park. This once unused open green space has now taken on new life as the City’s newest community park and playground. Park improvements have included new fencing, play equipment, and replacement of the stone pillars. Trees and park benches will be installed this Spring to finish off the project. Look for Osborne Park’s Grand Opening Summer 2011. More…
- Community Mosaic Project– The ABC partnered with local artists Jesse Kline, Dave Tobin and Janie Darovskikh, financial supporter the Stardust Foundation of CNY and community volunteers to collaboratively produce two original “Community Mosaic Projects” (CMP) during the summer and fall of 2010. The Angelo’s Pizza sign was recreated in a collage of broken tile, glass, mirror, mortar and pallet of vibrant colors bright enough to stop traffic on East Genesee Street. The canvas for the second mosaic project was the public space on Exchange Street, enhancing the existing low concrete walls with two new designs representing the beauty of our closest finger lake, Owasco Lake, and a pair of dragonflies symbolizing peace, prosperity, harmony and change.
As projects are completed, the ABC will identify new initiatives that will help make Auburn a better place to live. If you have a project you’d like the ABC to consider, please contact us.